Event: Volleyball - Hollins at Washington and Lee (Lexington, VA)
The lead: The Hollins volleyball team traveled north to Lexington for a tri-match, hosted by Washington and Lee. The Green and Gold would open with the Generals before taking on Virginia Wesleyan in Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) competition.
The result: Washington and Lee 3-0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-12)
How it happened: The Generals came into the matchup tied for first in the ODAC standings while Hollins is currently on the outside looking in for a berth in the 2018 ODAC Volleyball Championship Tournament. Washington and Lee proved to be an ungracious host as they used a 46-21 hitting advantage to sweep Hollins, 3-0. The first set was close, before the Generals closed on an 11-7 run to close out the frame. The next two sets would see the home team race out to 8-0 and 10-4 advantages as they pulled away in both for the three set win.
- Hollins struggled with the W&L defense, converting just 21 of their 90 attacks with 17 errors
- Casey Mahan and Hannah Crum recorded 15 of Hollins 20 assists
- Deja Hadden and Kiki Speights combined for 13 kills
Washington and Lee notes:
- Allison Webb, Courtney Berry, and Meg Guignon had 34 kills with just 6 errors
- Anna Soroka assisted on 34 of the 46 kills
- The Generals now have a 1/2 game lead over Randolph-Macon for the ODAC lead
What's next: Hollins will go back-to-back as they take on Virginia Wesleyan at 1:00pm.