Event: Volleyball - Bridgewater at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: After a 7-4 start to the season, the Hollins volleyball team would open Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play on Thursday night. The Eagles of Bridgewater brought a 12-2 record (2-0 in ODAC play) into the matchup while Hollins looked to build off their good start.
The result: Bridgewater 3-0 (25-8, 25-12, 25-23)
How it happened: The Eagles used a 7-1 run early in the first set to take control of the match. After Hollins responded to cut the deficit to 8-13, Bridgewater scored 12 straight to take a 1-0 advantage. The second set would once again see the Eagles enjoy a significant edge at the net, 16-6 in kills, to secure a 2-0 lead. Just when it looked like an easy Bridgwater win, Hollins stormed back from 17-12 to tie the frame at 21. Hollins would trade points with their guests, but could never pull ahead as the Eagles secured the, 3-0, ODAC win.
- No Hollins attacker reached double-digits in kills, Deja Hadden led with eight
- Libero Hannah Piatak picked up nine digs and added a service ace
- Hannah Arthur recirded three kills, five blocks (two solo and three assisted)
- The Eagles controlled the net with a 44-15 advantage in kills
- Deja Booker had a match high 10 kills while Rachel Gaston added eight in just two sets of play
- Victoria Wilson was solid all-around with 37 assists, five kills, and six digs
What's next: Hollins will travel to Lynchburg for a tri-match on Saturday. Hollins will battle Shenandoah before finishing the afternoon against the hosts from Randolph College.