Event: Soccer - Shenandoah at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Shenandoah University Hornets came to Roanoke for a mid-week showdown with Hollins. Each team came in with one Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) win, Shenandoah, 1-0, and Hollins, 1-1.
The result: Shenandoah 12-0
How it happened: The Hornets wasted little time in establishing their offense in the Hollins zone. The first 45 minutes of play would see 35 Shenandoah shots, 18 on goal. The Hollins defense did the best they could but the number of shots and scoring opportunities were just too much as the visitors netted six goals to take a big advantage into the break. The second half would be more of the same as fatigue and injuries took their tool on a short-handed Hollins defense that would once again see 30+ shots and six more scores, making the final 12-0 Shenandoah.
- Hollins would face 67 shots on the afternoon, almost 30 more shots than any game this season
- Keeper Kendra Rich recorded a season high 23 saves, tying her career high posted in 2017
- Hollins finished the afternoon with nine healthy bodies
- Emily Yergin scored three goals on 11 shots
- Emilie Smith started in goal, played the field in the second half and scored twice
- The Hornets are one of seven ODAC schools without a conference loss
What's next: Hollins faces a tough task on Saturday night as they head to Harrisonburg to face Eastern Mennonite at 7pm.