Event: Lacrosse - Southern Virginia at hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The 2019 Hollins lacrosse team looked to defend her home field for the final time on Saturday afternoon. The Green and Gold brought a four game win streak to Berkley Field as they played host to Southern Virginia University. Prior to the opening draw, Hollins took an opportunity to honor her five seniors: Mara Smith, Sydney Clark, Valerie Heflin, Allie Helmbrecht, and Kaleigh DePetro.
The result: Southern Va. 19-2
How it happened: The visiting Knights struck quickly, scoring the game's first goal in less than 30 seconds. During the first half, the Knights would use a 20-7 shot advantage to race out to a 12-0 edge. Hollins would score the period's final goal but couldn't carry any sustained momentum into the second half. Three more Southern Virginia scores would put the game away as the Knights cruised to a 19-2 victory, ending Hollins win streak at four games in a row.
- Helmbrecht scored both Hollins goals, giving the nation's 22nd leading scorer 51 goals on the season
- Emma Wilson enjoyed a double-digit save effort with 11 stops in goal
- Wilson, Heflin, and Sydney Strange each picked up four ground balls
Southern Virginia notes:
- Five goals for Hannah Knig and four by Lauren Thatcher led the Knights offense
- Sydney Winterton and King combined for eight of SVU's 11 assists
- Madilyn Pedroza made four saves en route to her 6th win of the season
What's next: Hollins will have one more chance to add to this season's historic win total as they travel to face Montreat on Wednesday. With a victory Hollins will have their most wins in a season since 2001.