Event: Basketball - Hollins at Emory & Henry (Emory, VA)
The lead: The final week of the 2018-19 basketball season started with a trip to Emory & Henry for the first of two Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) road games. Hollins would look to avenge an earlier loss to the Wasps, but a slow start would lead to a long night for the Green and Gold.
The result: E&H 73-46
How it happened: Emory & Henry would use defense to seize control of the rematch from the opening tip. The Wasps would turn Hollins over seven times and hold the visitors to just 25% shooting (2-8) as E&H raced out to a 24-5 first quarter advantage. Hollins would rebound to take the second frame but still faced an 18 point deficit at the break. Emory & Henry would shoot 44% from the field and use 18 Hollins turnovers to pull away for the ODAC win.
- Forward Keyazia Taylor would add six blocked shots to her ODAC leading total (57) while enjoying her 15th double-digit rebound game of the season
- Kayla Surles led the Hollins offense with 16 points and assisted on five of the team's other 12 field goals
- With three more made three pointers, Keenan Surles took over the team lead, in ODAC play, with 35
Emory & Henry notes:
- 14 different Wasps scored on the night
- Sydney McKinney led Emory & Henry with 13 while Tessa Johnston added 11
- E&H scored 27 points on Hollins 18 turnovers
What's next: Hollins will wrap up the regular season on Saturday when they travel to Eastern Mennonite for a 2:00pm tip with the Royals.