Event: Basketball - Hollins at Roanoke (Salem, VA)
The lead: For the second time this season, the Hollins basketball team took on her cross-town rivals from Roanoke College. After falling to the Maroons in early December, Hollins made the short trip to Salem for the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) rematch.
The result: Roanoke 64-38
How it happened: The Hollins defense did it's job in a first half that saw the home team hit just five of their first 19 attempts. However, the Maroons turned over Hollins 13 times and grabbed 13 offensive rebounds en route to a double-digit advantage at the break, 30-16. The Green and Gold came out in the third quarter and made a game of it by staring the second half with a 7-2 run, cutting the deficit to just nine. However, Roanoke College would score 15 of the next 19 points to put the game away and end any hope of a Hollins upset.
- Senior Sally Sroge posted a game high 17 points to lead Hollins
- Keenan Surles would hit three of her nine attempts from long range
- Another double-digit rebound night for Keyazia Taylor (12), her 13th of the season
- Renee Alquiza led the team with 12, as a dozen different Maroons hit the scoring column
- Roanoke dominated the glass, 48-26, with 21 offensive boards
- The two ODAC rivals combined for 46 turnovers (Hollins 24 and Roanoke 22)
What's next: Hollins will have a short break before they play host to Randolph College on Monday night.