Event: Volleyball - Ferrum at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins volleyball team played their final home match of the 2018 season on Tuesday night. Ferrum College battled Hollins for the third time this season. After winning at the Maroon Classic, Hollins fell to the Panthers with the rubber match being for positioning in the final Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) standings.
The result: Ferrum 3-1 (14-25, 29-27, 25-22, 25-20)
How it happened: Hollins stormed out to a first set lead and never looked back in cruising to a 1-0 advantage. The home team was poised to take a 2-0 advantage with a 22-18 lead. However, Ferrum finally gained the momentum, thanks in part to two of Hollins six receiving errors. Despite losing the lead, Hollins had a chance to win the set when they took the ball to serve up 27-26. A Hollins service error gave Ferrum life as the Panthers would score the final three points to even the match. The third set was all Ferrum until a 7-1 run tied the score at 20-20. The two teams would trade points, 22-22, until the Panthers once again finished the frame on a 3-0 surge to take the 2-1 advantage. The fourth and final set saw Ferrum take a six point lead at the half-way point and the Panthers closed out Hollins for the 3-1, ODAC win.
- Hannah Arthur and Kiki Speights enter the regular season finale tomorrow night ranked 1 and 2 in the ODAC in solo blocks
- Deja Hadden recorded 26 kills and is currently 3rd in the ODAC while Speights posted a season high with 12
- Setter Casey Mahan had 44 assists and Amanda Mink registered 20 digs (both match highs)
- Kaelyn Daniel, Cheyenne Strickland, and Mikayla Holland combined for 45 of the Panther's 57 kills
- Ferrum won the four set match despite being outscored 94-93 in total points
- With the win, the newest ODAC member finished the season 11th after being selected 12th in the preseason
What's next: Hollins will travel to Randolph-Macon tomorrow night. If the Yellow Jackets win, they will once again earn the top spot heading into the ODAC Volleyball Championship Tournament.