Event: Volleyball - Hollins vs. Virginia Wesleyan (Lexington, VA)
The lead: After falling to Washington and Lee in the opener, Hollins faced off with Virginia Wesleyan looking to pick up another Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) win.
The result: Virginia Wesleyan 3-0 (25-23, 22-25, 25-14, 25-15)
How it happened: Less than an hour after falling to the Generals, Hollins would fall behind early to the Marlins. Trailing by six, 12-6, the Green and Gold would begin to mount a rally. Late in the set, Hollins had come all the way back, cutting the deficit to just a single point, 23-22. However, it was Virginia Wesleyan that would rattle off two of the next three points to close out the opener. However, Hollins carried the momentum of their rally into the second set racing out to a 5-1 start. Hollins would stave off every Marlin rally and push their lead to as many as six, 15-9, and evened up the match with the 25-22 win. The next two sets would belong to Virginia Weslyan as the Marlins would take sizable leads early in the sets as they closed out Hollins 3-1.
- Middle Kiki Speights would account for all six of Hollins blocks
- Deja Hadden registered 23 kills, a match high
- Amanda Mink posted a match high 21 digs to go along with five assists
Virginia Wesleyan notes:
- Doneisha Hall (18) led a trio of Marlin attackers with double-digit kills
- Meghan Wood and Katie Costin combined to assist on 55 of the Marlins 58 kills
- VWU wrapped up ODAC play with a 9-3 mark
What's next: Hollins will play Ferrum College for a third time this season. The two new conference foes have split the first two matches with the winner on Tuesday night earning the ODAC win in the standings.