Event: Volleyball - Roanoke at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The annual cross-town matchup with Roanoke College took place on Wednesday night. Prior to the match, Hollins took an opportunity to honor her two seniors as the crowd dressed in a "Sea of Green" for the occasion.
The result: Roanoke College 3-0 (25-18, 25-21, 25-13)
How it happened: The Maroons raced out to a four point advantage. About half way though the opener, Hollins would cut the deficit to a single point, 15-14. However, Roanoke would score the next three points, and 10 of the final 14 for the win. The visitors from Salem looked to ride the momentum in the second frame and pulled away, early, to lead 11-3. The Green and Gold would come out of a timeout and explode for a 10-1 run to take their first lead of the match, 13-12. The set would go back and forth until the final tie, 18-18. From that point on, the Roanoke attack, 51-26 kill advantage, would take over as the Maroons rallied to take the set and cruised in third, 25-13, for the sweep and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) win.
- Seniors Torri Jolly and Deja Hadden were honored prior to the opening serve
- Hadden led Hollins with 14 kills while Kenna Esquibel added seven kills and 10 digs, a team high
- Middle Blocker Kiki Speights accounted for four of Hollins five blocks with Brie Faircloth serving three aces
- Freshman outside Linsey Bailey (23) and senior Sydney Daniel (12) combined for 35 of Roanoke's 51 kills
- Setter Olivia Newman had match highs with 39 assists, 13 digs, and three service aces
- Roanoke College is currently tied for 2nd most wins in the ODAC with seven
What's next: Hollins will travel to Lexington on Saturday for an ODAC tri-match with Virginia Wesleyan and Washington and Lee. The matches will be hosted by the Generals and get started at 11:00am.