Event: Volleyball - Mary Baldwin at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins volleyball team brought a perfect, 2-0, record into their first home match of the season as they played host to Mary Baldwin. It was the first of consecutive matches against the Squirrels and with a win, Hollins could match last season's 3-0 start.
The result: Hollins 3-0 (25-11, 25-10, 25-16)
How it happened: Hollins jumped on their guests early and raced out to a big lead, thanks to a 10-2 run that put away the first set. Hollins would continue to roll, out-killing Mary Baldwin 28-12 en route to a 2-0 lead. The Squirrels made it close in the third, 7-7, until four straight Hollins points shifted the momentum in favor of the home team. Hollins finished the night with a 41-19 advantage in points at the net.
- Kenna Esquibel converted 12 of her 20 attacks without an error. The first-year would add 14 digs and two service aces.
- Charlie Vollmers and Deja Hadden posted identical (8 kills on 18 attacks) hitting lines
- Setter Casey Mahan assisted on 34 of Hollins 41 kills
- Hannah Piatak led the team with 16 digs while picking up four assists
Mary Baldwin notes:
- Milan Hunt led the team with five kills and a block
- 26 attack errors made it tough to sustain any momentum throughout the match
- Savanna McGavock handed out 13 assists
What's next: Hollins will make the short trip on Interstate 81 to play four matches at the 2018 Maroon Classic, hosted by Roanoke College. Hollins will play Mary Baldwin at noon on Friday before wrapping up day one with a match against Ferrum at 6:00pm.