Event: Volleyball- Hollins at Penn State Mont Alto (Mont Alto, PA)
The lead: The Hollins University volleyball team looked to match last season's start when they took a 1-0 mark into the game with Penn State Mont Alto. The 2017 start was the best in over a decade for a Hollins program looking to make big strides this year in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC).
The result: Hollins 3-0 (25-20, 25-7, 25-10)
How it happened: The first set was close with Penn Stat Mont Alto holding a big edge in attacks, 42-24. However the N1ttany Lions made too many mistakes and allowed their guests to take a 1-0 advantage with a Hollins first set victory. That was all Hollins would need in outscoring the Nittany Lions 50-17 the rest of the way to earn their second consecutive sweep, 3-0, to start the season.
- Hollins enjoyed a big advantage at the net, out-killing their opponent 2:1
- Casey Mahan enjoyed her second consecutive 20+ assist match to start the season
- Deja Hadden and Kenna Esquibel each recorded five kills to lead the Hollins attack
- Esquibel added six service aces and 13 digs
PSU Mont Alto notes:
- Breanne Byers led the Nittany Lions with four kills
- Katelyn Muse had 12 assists
- The home team had as many kills as errors at the net
What's next: Hollins will return to Roanoke to open the home portion of their schedule on Wednesday night. Hollins welcomes Mary Baldwin University to campus for a 7:00pm start. It is the first of back to back matches with the Squirrels as Hollins and Mary Baldwin will face off again on Friday at the 2018 Maroon Classic hosted by Roanoke College.