Event: Soccer - Randolph-Macon at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins soccer team looked to defend Berkley Field for the final time this season when Randolph-Macon made the trip for a mid-week matchup. The Yellow Jackets came into the game sitting in a three way tie in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) standings with just one loss.
The result: Randolph-Macon 10-0
How it happened: The game started with the Hollins defense standing tall in their zone despite a Yellow Jacket attack that was making pinpoint passes and possessing the ball. At the 15 minute mark, Randolph-Macon finally broke through the defensive wall when a Yellow Jacket attacker dribbled through a trio of defenders and found the back of the net. The visitors would add another goal about 10 minutes later as Hollins began to wear down due to the relentless Yellow Jacket attack. Three more R-M scores in the final 15 minutes put the game out of reach, 5-0, at the half. The second half would see Macon net three goals in two minute stretch as the Yellow Jackets would go on for the, 10-0, ODAC win.
- The Hollins defense blocked several Randolph-Macon shots led by Shravani Chitineni with five
- Keeper Kendra Rich faced 32 shots on goal, recording 22 saves, one shy of her season high
- Hollins is currently 12th in the league with one match left to play
- The Yellow Jackets saw six different players score
- Nicole Czyzewski had a hat trick and is currently 5th in the ODAC in goals scored
- With the win, Randolph-Macon is currently tied for 2nd in the ODAC
What's next: Hollins will travel to Lynchburg on Saturday to face Randolph College in the 2018 regular season finale.