Event: Soccer - Hollins at Ferrum (Ferrum, VA)
The lead: The Hollins soccer team had their schedule rearranged for the second time against Ferrum College. The match, originally scheduled for Saturday, October 13 was moved to Friday the 12th due to Hurricane Florence. After severe flooding in the Roanoke Valley on Thursday, the match was moved once again this time it was moved from Berkley Field to the football stadium at Ferrum.
The result: Ferrum 8-0
How it happened: the afternoon got started with Hollins playing the newest Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) member possession for possession. The scoreless tie was broken when the Panther attacker sent a shot over the head of the keeper and into the back of the net for the game's first goal. The Panthers would add a late first half score to take a 2-0 lead into the break. With the outcome still in question, Ferrum struck twice in the first three minutes of the second frame to put the match out of reach. In the end it would be the Panthers that would add to their ODAC win total.
- First-year Madisen Charles got her first start and complete game in goal, recording 12 saves
- Mallory Jengo led Hollins in shots
- The Hollins defense would stop seven of the nine, first half, shots on goal
- Taylor Dodson picked up her eighth win of the season in goal
- Brianna Honse had a pair of goals as seven different Ferrum players scored
- Ferrum is now tied for the ODAC lead in wins (4)
What's next: The weary Hollins squad will get the remainder of Fall Break to rest before gearing up for the final ODAC stretch drive in mid-October. Hollins will travel to Bridgewater on Tuesday, October 16th.