Event: Soccer - Guilford at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: Hollins and Guilford would enter Saturday's matchup with identical, 1-0, Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) records. The winner would move up the ODAC standings in the early stages of the conference schedule.
The result: Guilford 3-0
How it happened Neither team got much going in the opening stages of the match. The field began to tilt, with much of the action in the Hollins zone but their defense was up to the task. However, a loose ball would be picked up by a Quaker and deposited in the left corner of the net. The game was poised to go into the half with Hollins trailing, 1-0, until a Hollins foul would set up a long range direct kick. The ball would carom off the top crossbar and back out into play to the waiting foot of a Guilford attacker for a 2-0 advantage. With less than 15 minutes left to play, a yellow card would lead to a Guiflord penalty kick and provide the final score of the afternoon.
- The Hollins defense was solid allowing 12 of the 34 Guilford shots to be directed on goal
- Keeper Kendra Rich recorded nine saves
- Madisen Charles led the Hollins attack with three shots on net
- Three different Quakers would score
- Lauren Culler posted the only assist of the match
- Morgan Malikowski registered three stops in the shut-out
What's next: Hollins will host Shenandoah University on Wednesday at 3:30pm.