Event: Soccer - Hollins at York College (Brooklyn, NY)
The lead: The Hollins soccer team wrapped up a weekend trip to the northeast with a game against York College on Sunday afternoon. The Cardinals would be the final tune up for a Hollins team that is poised to open Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play next weekend.
The result: Tie 0-0 (2 OT)
How it happened: The two teams would engage in a back and forth struggle all afternoon long. The first half would see Hollins enjoy a 7-4 shot advantage but could not score on any of her five shots on goal. The second half would be more of the same, Hollins would once again enjoy an advantage in shots but at the end of regulation the score would remain tied, 0-0. Hollis would see the lone scoring chance in the first overtime but the York keeper made the save and despite a trio of late corner kicks, Hollins would not be able to put the game away. In the second OT, the Cardinals would get the lone scoring chance but the Hollins defense held and the match ended in a 0-0 tie.
- Hollins had an advantage in shots (16-10) and shots on goal (12-6)
- Kendra Rich and Madisen Charles split time in goal with each recording three saves
- Shravani Chitineni led with five shots while Charles added four
- Four Cardinals combined for the team's 10 shots
- Yvonne Zapata made 12 stops in net
- Each team was assessed one yellow card
What's next: Hollins will look to pick up their first ODAC win of the season next Saturday when they travel to Sweet Briar on September 22nd. Hollins will look to make it two in a row against their rivals after defeating the Vixens, 2-1, in the 2017 regular season finale.