Event: Soccer - Piedmont International @ Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: Two days after the open of the 2018-19 Hollins academic year, the soccer team looked to get the season of to a good start when they welcomed Piedmont International to Berkley Field on Friday afternoon.
The result: Piedmont International 7, Hollins 1
How it happened: The Bruins would use a big advantage in first half shots, 21-1, in taking a 4-0 advantage into the break. After two more Piedmont International scores, Hollins would get on the board with just over 15 minutes left to play. First-year Madisen Charles took a pass trough the Bruin defense from Miranda Springston and beat the keeper for her first collegiate goal. PIU sent 20 shots on goal while spending much of the afternoon in the Hollins zone.
- Goal keeper Kendra Rich recorded 13 saves
- Charles led the offense with two shots while senior Ciera Morris registered the other Hollins attempt
- Charles leads the team in goals with Springston leading in assists
Piedmont International notes:
- Ana Ordaz scored three times and added a pair of assists while taking a game high 10 shots
- Kelsie Simpson took eight shots, scoring twice
- Kaitlyn Hunt and Citlally Jasso combined to register two saves in goal
What's next: Hollins will look to even it's record on Tuesday, September 4th, when they play host to Wilson College. The game is scheduled to kick off at 4:00pm on Berkley Field.