Event: Lacrosse - Hollins at Sweet Briar (Sweet Brair, VA)
The lead: The Hollins lacrosse team took a three game win streak on the road as the traveled to face their long time rivals from Sweet Briar. With a win over the Vixens, Hollins would post their most wins since 2011 and run their win streak to a total not seen in over a decade.
The result: Hollins 12-9
How it happened: Sweet Briar would welcome her arch rivals by netting the opening goal in the game's first 1:30. However, Hollins would dominate the remainder of the first half, 11-5 shot advantage, putting six unanswered goals on the board to take a lead (6-1) into the break. At the start of the second frame, the nation's 22nd ranked goal scorer, Allie Helmbrecht, would add her third of five free position goals of the afternoon. Just when it appeared Hollins would pull away for the easy win, the Vixens answered with seven of the game's next nine scores to cut the deficit to a single goal, 9-8. Sydney Strange would score her second goal of the game while Helmbrecht added two more scores to finish off Sweet Briar, 12-9.
- Helmbrecht scored eight goals, giving her 49 on the season
- In goal, Emma Wilson registered eight saves in picking up the fourth consecutive win of her first-year campaign
- Strange had two goals and an assist while Kate Woodruff and Sydney Clark each added a score
- Hollins four wins matches the win total of 2011 and with two games remaining, gives the team a chance to equal the six wins posted in 2001
Sweet Briar notes:
- Victoria Lawson and Kierstan Mullins each scored three times
- All nine Vixen goals were unassisted
- Sammy Holton recorded nine saves in net
What's next: Hollins will play host to Southern Virginia University in their home finale. The game with the Knights is scheduled to draw at 3pm.