Event: Lacrosse - Ferrum at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins lacrosse team played their third consecutive home game to start the season. The newest Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) competitor, Ferrum College, was in town for a Saturday matchup. Hollins would score first but four straight Panther goals gave the visitors a lead heading into the break.
The result: Ferrum 10-5
How it happened: For the first time this season, Hollins opened the scoring at the 26:36 mark of the first half. Ferrum would answer with a pair of tallies before Hollins netted the tying score at the 19 minute mark. Over the next 13 minutes of play, the Panthers would go on a 4-0 run to take control of the matchup. With just over a minute and a half to play, Allie Helmbrecht scored on the power play and then would add her third score of the frame with just two ticks left on the clock. With a three goal deficit (4-7) to start the second half, Hollins was unable to capitalize on their momentum. Ferrum would score four second half goals, separated by one more Hollins score, to win by the final score of 10-5.
- Helmbrecht now has six goals on the season, adding three scores, seven ground balls and three caused turnovers
- Madi Szurley recorded one goal and one assist
- Mara Smith added one goal while Sydney Clark registered her first assist of the season
- Micaela Harvey paced the Panthers with four goals and an assist
- Reagan Aldridge, Jackyln Prillaman, and Megan Allen each scored twice
- Shaianne Ermini recorded 12 saves while picking up her second win of the season
What's next: Hollins will wrap up their four game home-stand on Monday when they play host to Earlham College. The game with the Quakers is scheduled to start at 4:00pm.