Event: Lacrosse - Wesley College at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: Monday marked the second of four consecutive home games to open the 2019 lacrosse season. After falling to Averett in their opener, Hollins looked to rebound against a Wesley College team that was making their season debut. The Wolverines wasted little time in getting the scoring started, with their first tally in the opening two minutes of play.
The result: Wesley 13-1
How it happened: The visitors from Dover would strike early, netting the game's first score just two minutes in and then adding three more scores in the first 10 minutes of action. Hollins could not gain any sort of momentum, the Wolverines would enjoy a 14-2 first half shot advantage and Wesley would control a majority of the first 30 minutes within the Hollins zone. A final score in the last minute would give the road team a 10-0 lead at the break. Hollins would cause three second half turnovers to complete a competitive second, 30 minutes of play. However, despite a late goal, it was Wesley that would leave with the win, 13-1.
- Hollins won the draw control battle 8-5
- Senior Allie Helmbrecht netted her third goal in the season's first two games
- Defender Carsen Helms caused a team high two turnovers while fellow defender Sydney Strange led Hollins field players with four ground balls
- Fallon Fore and Paige Brehm each had four goals and an assist
- The Wolverines had assists on eight of their 13 scores
- Maria Rowland picked up the win in net recording one save on the two shots she faced
What's next: Hollins will play host to Ferrum College on Saturday with an opening draw scheduled at 2:00pm.