Event: Lacrosse - Averett at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: The Hollins lacrosse team opened up the 2019 season with a visit from Averett University. The Cougars came in having played a pair of matches and used a big first half to pull away from the home team by controlling much of the action in the Hollins zone. At the final horn, Averett ran their early season mark to 2-1 while Hollins fell to 0-1.
The result: Averett 18-3
How it happened: The afternoon opened with the visiting Cougars scoring five times in the game's first five minutes. The half would see Averett enjoy a 21-4 shot advantage, taking a big lead into the break. The Hollins defense would cause 10 turnovers in a second half that would end with the Cougars winning the frame, 3-2, and securing their second win of the season.
- Two goals by Allie Helmbrecht led the Hollins offense
- Mara Smith netted her only shot and also caused one turnover
- Sydney Strange paced the Hollins defense with four ground balls
- Keeper Emma Wilson recorded eight saves in her collegiate debut
- Courtney Delone would score six goals and assist on another
- A trio of Cougars netted three goals; Alixis Roccia, Hannah Mae Ayers, and Elizabeth Peasley
- Emily Eby went the distance in net, stopping two of the five Hollins shots on goal
What's next: Hollins starts the season with four consecutive home games, the next coming on Monday afternoon when Wesley College comes to town for a 4:00pm start.