The event: Basketball - Virginia Wesleyan at Hollins (Roanoke, VA)
The lead: Saturday marked the third of a three game, Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC), home stand. Virginia Wesleyan made the trip from the beach to challenge a Hollins team looking to go 2-1 for the week. 18% first quarter shooting would cause Hollins to play catch up all afternoon as the Marlins secured the ODAC win.
The result: Va. Wesleyan 70-50
How it happened: The early stages of the matchup would see each team get good scoring looks. However, the Marlins would hit six of their 14 attempts, while Hollins was stone cold (2-11) , and take a 10 point lead into the second quarter. Hollins would rebound in the second but a late three ball would allow the Marlins to take the quarter and increase their advantage to 12 at the half. As has been the case this homestand, a rough shooting third quarter would allow the visitors to seize momentum and take a sizable edge into the final 10 minutes of play. The final frame would see the Green and Gold record 22 points but it wasn't enough to mount a rally as Virginia Wesleyan picked up their ninth conference win of the season.
- Post player Keyazia Taylor followed up her seven block effort with four more blocked shots to go with 14 points and eight boards
- Kayla Surles once again paced Hollins with a game high 19 points and five assists
- Yasmine Tyler continued her solid play with eight points, four rebounds, and four steals
Virginia Wesleyan notes:
- All ODAC guard Jayla Harris had 16 points on 5-14 shooting
- Point guard Reagan Holmes assisted on nine of the Marlins 26 made field goals
- On 4-10 long range shooting, Amanda Gerni added 16 points and a pair of blocked shots
What's next: Hollins will hit the road for a game with Washington and Lee on Tuesday night at 7:00pm in Lexington.