Event: Basketball - Ferrum at Hollins (Roanoke VA)
The lead: The first of a three game home stand was a mid-week visit from newest Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) member Ferrum College. Hollins came into the night trailing the Panthers in the conference standings with both teams looking for their first victory of 2019. Hollins overcame a first half deficit to pull away for a double-digit win.
The result: Hollins 45-34
How it happened: The two new ODAC foes came into the matchup averaging less than 52 points per game. The first half would see the two teams combine for 11-41 shooting (26.8%) with Ferrum holding a 16-12 edge at the break. The Green and Gold came out and attacked the basket in the third frame, hitting six of their field goal attempts, including three of five from long range and four of four from the free throw line. Heading into the final quarter, Hollins had erased the deficit and grabbed an eight point lead, 31-23. After continuing to hit their free throws down the stretch, Hollins pushed their advantage to double figures and closed out the Panthers for the first ODAC win of Coach Emilee Dunton's young career.
- Keenan Surles hit a pair of three pointers int he first half and it was her third of the night that gave Hollins the lead for good
- Senior Sally Sroge netted a game high 11, seven in the third quarter
- Hollins dominated the glass, 36-25
- It was not only Hollins first conference win of the season, it was the first ever win over the Panthers (previously 0-8)
- Jasmine Barr led Ferrum with 10 points and five rebounds
- The Panthers hit just three of their 27 attempts from long range
- Each team had just two second chance points and two offensive rebounds
What's next: Notre Dame of Maryland will be the middle game of this week's three game home stand as the Gators will come to Roanoke for a 7pm tip on Friday night.