The event: Basketball - Hollins at Randolph-Macon (Ashland, VA)
The lead: After falling to the 2018 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) runners-up, Emory & Henry, on Wednesday night, Hollins would travel to Ashland to face the reigning champs on Saturday afternoon. Randolph-Macon used their size and experience to defeat the young Hollins squad behind excellent rebounding and outside shooting.
The result: Randolph-Macon 90-44
How it happened: The defending ODAC champions used a 19-0 run to start the game. Hollins scored in the final 20 seconds of the first quarter but could never gain any sort of momentum against the heavily favored Yellow Jackets. Macon shot 50% from long range (10-20) and used a huge advantage on the glass, 51-34, to pull away for the easy conference win.
- Sophomore Chesslyn Owens paced the Green and Gold with 15 points, four rebounds, and three steals in 20 minutes of play
- Keyazia Taylor came into the game 4th in the ODAC in rebounds, grabbed 10 boards
- The Hollins bench outscored RMC (41-34) led by Owens and 10 points by Carsen Helms
- Lauren Lewis led the outside attack for the Yellow Jackets with 23 points thanks to 6-9 shooting from long range
- 2018 ODAC Player of the Year Kelly Williams had a double-double with 18 and 10
- Randolph-Macon now sits atop the ODAC standings with a 4-0 mark, 6-1 overall
What's next: Hollins will host cross-town rival Roanoke College on Thursday night. It is a rematch of the final home game of the 2017-18 season that saw Hollins lead the Maroons wire-to-wire for a 64-56 win.