Programs & Fees
For more information on the Hollins Riding program >
2017-18 Riding Fee
$1,195 per course
- Fee includes excellent hunter seat instruction for all levels (2 times a week)
- Appropriate-level classes scheduled around academics
- Small group lessons (average 6)
- 43 large box stalls with rubber mats
- Approximately 30 high-quality university-owned horses
- Seven spacious pastures and paddocks with double white four-board fencing
- Two tack rooms
- Laundry room
- Fee includes some weekend extra riding privileges
- Private schooling sessions also available at no extra cost
- Opportunities to show at intercollegiate shows (all fees paid by university)
- Opportunities to show at open shows with no extra coaching or horse rental fees
Fees for 2017-18 (subject to change): upper barn: $1,110 per month: lower barn: $960.00 per month. Fees include special feed and blanketing.
Stable manager lives on site.
- Priority is given to upperclasswomen
- Early requests from first-year students are considered
- Feeding, turn out, and other special needs are tailored to each horse to make transition from home as smooth as possible
- Individual or small group turn out is offered
- Boarders must be enrolled in riding program
- Students usually ride their own horse in class; however, there are opportunities to ride a Hollins-owned horse
Nancy Peterson, Director of Riding
B.A., Roanoke College. Riding instructor at Hollins since 1972. Inducted into the Virginia Horse Shows Association Hall of Fame (2012); inducted into the Virginia Horse Center Hall of Fame (2008); IHSA Lifetime Achievement Award (2007); ODAC Coach of the Year (five times); Horseperson of the Year (2004) VHSA; Guy Burkholder Memorial Sportsmanship Award (2006); Susan Hagan Award (2004); Andrew M. Montgomery Award (1998); Virginia Horse Show Association; Roanoke Valley Horse Show Hall of Fame (2001); hunter coordinator, Roanoke Valley Horse Show; board of directors, Virginia Horse Center; Horseperson of the Year (1995), VHC; Virginia Horse Council; past president, Southwest Virginia Hunter/Jumper Association; board of directors, Virginia Horse Show Association, and past president, Roanoke Valley Horsemen's Association; Hall of Fame, Southwest Virginia Hunter/Jumper Association.
Liz Courter, Associate Head Coach
A.A., Southern Seminary. Riding instructor at Hollins since 1982. Guy Burkholder Memorial Sportsmanship Award (2007); ODAC Coach of the Year (three times); board of directors, Southwest Virginia Hunter/Jumper Association (two terms).
Elise Roschen, Stable Manager, Assistant Director of Riding
A.A., Southern Seminary. Riding instructor at Hollins since 1986; consultant and advisor to many barns in Virginia. Received the IHSA National Championships Horse Show Sportsmanship Award, 2007.
Roanoke, VA 24020
Fax: (540) 362-6446